As E-sports continues to grow with millions and possibly in the billions by the year 2019, traditional sports teams and investors has taken notice of E-sports' popularity.
Over the past year alone, there have been seven noteworthy esports investments. And this should hardly come as a surprise. The esports industry is putting up some well-reported and impressive numbers. The global esports market is currently valued at just under $900 million, and worldwide viewership sits at around 214 million, according to a July report from market research firm SuperData Research. By 2019, the industry will be worth over $1.2 billion and viewership will have increased to around 303 million.
Here are some of the partnerships:
- Team Dignitas and Apex with Philadelphia 76ers
- Team Liquid with aXiomatic by NBA owners including Magic Johnson
- Team 8 with Immortals by major investors and venture capital firms
- Team Coast with Sacramento Kings, founding NRG eSports with investment names such as Shaq, A-Rod, and Jimmy Rollins
- Gravity Gaming with former NBA player Rick Fox, founding Echo Fox
- Virtus.pro with UHM holdings, founded by Russia's most richest man, Alisher Usmanov
- Elements with German soccer club FC Schalke
- Renegades with Boston Celtics NBA player Jonas Jerebko